Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Five Minutes

            INT.  DEATH ROW CELL

            Lizzie stares into the camera in a very close shot.

                                LIZZIE
                      In three hours I'm going in.  After I'm
                      in, they tell me it's five minutes to
                      strap me in, and then I'm given another
                      five to say a few words.  Five minutes
                      to say a few words.  I won't need it.
                      There's nothing I would have to say to
                      them that would take five minutes.
                      It's like what am I going to say.  I'm
                      sorry.  Please forgive me.  He was
                      mine.  Not theirs.  Not anybody's but
                      mine.  I asked for help.  But no one...
                      no one lifted a finger for my son.  No
                      one.  Of course I'm sorry.  But I'm not
                      going to say it to them strapped in a
                      chair with a pail of acid beneath me
                      and two... they tell me two cyanide
                      tablets dangling above the pail.  So I
                      say it through this little hole in the
                      wall, my little hole.  My little
                      peephole into heaven.  I'll close my
                      eyes and look through this hole as I
                      hear those tablets drop into the pail,
                      and I will take a deep breath and see
                      the light and I will smile.  I will
                      smile.  See you soon.  See you soon
                      Jimmy.  I'll be with you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment